Friday, February 24, 2006

It's good here, isn't it?

Not sure where everything is yet but I've found the kitchen and the whole place is just more comfy than my old blog page. If I've not met you before, hello. How are you?

This was all meant to be a simple What's New for my site www.williamgallagher.com site which is the home to the UK DVD Review podcast that you can also get through iTunes.

But I think it's become something more, I'm not entirely sure what, and if I'm right that it's developed then it's because of you. Wow, did you freak me out when I discovered how to do a counter and saw how many people were flying by. Ta for that, it was a shock but a great one.

Now, I've been away quite ill - just man-flu, but it seemed bad at the time - and some things have happened. Previously on this blog, or its ancestor anyway, I've boasted that I got a gig presenting DVD reviews on BBC Hereford & Worcester local radio. Their Friday breakfast show focuses on the weekend, it's still a news show but it's got an entertainment side and dotted throughout the show are four DVD reviews. Each is one-minute long, I present them.

And if you just glazed because I've said this before, there is one teeny detail I always left out and it's this: the gig at Hereford & Worcester was a trial.

Whereas what's new is that the trial is over and the station's asked to extend my contract for a further few months.

You know what's supposed to happen, don't you? They ask, I haggle, I play it cool, I haggle some more. But nope, I emailed back instantly saying "Yes, please". I love doing this, though you'd be surprised how much work it is. The total running time is four minutes, four entire whole minutes but the average time it takes me to do is a bit over three hours, not including watching the films.

Also, I used to do the picture editing for the RadioTimes.com website and though someone else has taken that over - and she's markedly better and faster than me, incidentally, so I doubt I'll be getting that gig back - I am now working on the site's photo galleries. It ought to be astonishingly easy: Radio Times magazine has a great picture desk team, the shots they take or get in are truly tremendous, all I have to do is pop them onto the website.

So that's what I do. Just one is up and about now, a selection of photos from RT's famous covers party:
http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features/galleries/coversparty/01/

We're hoping to add something to that next week, but I'll tell you what if it works out. Also RT gave the cast of Hustle a compact flash digital camera and I've been looking over the shots they took. The best are going to be in the next issue of Radio Times and should be online shortly.

Otherwise, a script of mine won me a place on a mentoring scheme where a professional full-time script writer. I had a meeting about that right in the middle of my cold; I drove the hour to it with a hot-water bottle up my jumper.

So.

How've you been?

William

2 comments:

Laura Cousins said...

You're a terrible tease, William. So what happened with the professional script-writer, then?

William Gallagher said...

Ooops, no teasing intended. The mentoring thing is still in progress, I'm slogging away on the script (for 'slogging away' read 'meaning to get around to') and I have a few days yet.

Thanks for the comment: I hadn't entirely twigged that this new place for my blog included comments. Kinda scary, the more I think about that.

So ta for being gentle.

William